ANNOUNCE: JPE, the Java-Python Extension - first beta release

Frederic Giacometti frederic.giacometti at arakne.com
Mon Apr 30 07:52:25 EDT 2001

Gerhard Häring wrote:

> Hmm, the build process was a little frustrating for me, but in the end it built
> (with a gazillion warnings). When I try to run the TestDND.py sample, I get the
> following error message on Linux (Sun or Blackdown JDK, using Python 2.1):
>
> jvmarg = ['-verbose:jni', '-Djava.library.path=.', '-Djava.class.path=.']
> jpe.c:432 dlopen </opt/j2sdk1.3.0/jre/lib/i386/server/libjvm.so>
> Unable to load native library: shared object not open
>
> Any idea?

I had the same problem on Linux.
If somebody could help find the solution... (this works fine on Windows).

To bypass the problem on Linux/Unix, you can use something like 'java python.PyRun
TestDND.py' (cf. example in 'make testjava').

python.PyRun.main() should let you run Python scripts from within Java.
By doing this way, you don't have to initialize Java from Python, something that
still fails on Linux/Unix, with the message you noted.

Regards,

FG