In the Absence of a GoTo Statement: Newbie needs menu-launcher to choose amongst sub-programs

Moshe Zadka moshez at zadka.site.co.il
Sun Apr 15 08:06:40 EDT 2001

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001 09:20:19 +0200, "Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I suspect you're confusing Islam with Catholicism here -- flagellants
> are a typical Catholic phenomenon, while I think typical Islamic
> 'frenzy' practitioners are the Sufi "whirling dervishes" (a form of
> 'movement meditation' which has interesting aspects indeed).

He might be confusing whips with other forms of self-torture, though.
In Shi'ik Islam (mistakenly considered "fanatic Islam", but if you here
about fanatics, it's usually Shi'is), they have a ritual of cutting the
forehead with a razor (only lightly breaking the skin, however) -- it's
not as much for the pain, as it is for the visual effect of blood all over
the face, I believe. This is certainly more colourful then whipping!

--
"I'll be ex-DPL soon anyway so I'm        |LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?
looking for someplace else to grab power."|YODA: No...no... no. Quicker,