1.6 vs 2.1 (was Re: syntax from diveintopython)

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 08:46:32 EDT 2001

"iddwb" <iddwb at imap1.asu.edu> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.21.0104180243040.6996-100000 at moroni.pp.asu.edu...
    [snip]
> I grabbed the rpm for python 1.6.  I'm so new to the language that I
> didn't see why 2.x would help.  I'm still trying to overcome years of
> Rexx.  anyway, comments appreciated.

1.6 has been called "the Contractual Obligations release" -- something
Guido et al HAD to do for legal/contractual reasons.  I do not know of
ANY case where its use would be recommended.  Get 2.1... fewer bugs, more
attuned to the training materials you'll find around, etc, etc -- surely
these are traits that WOULD help even one new to the language, no?

Alex