Curl, the language/environment/markup language...(Spanish Civil War)...

Christopher Barber cbarber at curl.com
Thu Apr 12 10:34:33 EDT 2001

 >> "Fernando Rodríguez" wrote: Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:
 >>
 >> Why do you think it's SO wrong?

 >> It's a horribly bad idea if they actually expect the language to become
 >> widely used commercially.  With such licensing they are guaranteed to
 >> drive companies away from using it.  No one wants to start using a
 >> for-the-Web language where they have to pay _per hit_.

Actually, it has mostly been individual programmers who seem to dislike this
pricing scheme; we have found that businesses are fairly open to it.
Companies doing business on the web already pay huge amounts of money for
development tools, server hardware/software and maintenance, and for internet
connectivity.  Unlike other development tools, Curl technology costs nothing
until you actually put it into the field and then what you pay is proportional
to your other web-hosting costs.  By using Curl, you can push more of your
functionality from the server to the client and therefore require less work
from your servers.  You can also deliver content to your end-users using fewer
number of bytes so you don't need to buy as much network bandwidth.  The net
result is that you should actually save money using Curl technology to build
and distribute web content.

- Christopher