PEP: Use site-packages on all platforms

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 12:02:36 EDT 2001

In article <HIvIOuaxqI32rnF44H+1Wy4+n8Vy at 4ax.com>, Paul Moore
<paul.moore at uk.origin-it.com> writes
not that I really disagree, but what do I do with libz.dll if I have
zlib.pyd and _imaging.pyd compiled to use it. I guess I need a copy in
both DLLs and site-packages if that's where zlib.pyd and _imaging.pyd
live. Normally python dosen't modify the path when loading .pyds so the
rule  'where the .pyd is being loaded from' will apply.

I either use more resources by copying or using static builds and in
both cases I run the risk of having different versions for the loaded
libz. In the static build case I get both, in the dynamic case I get
whichever version gets loaded first as win32 doesn't seem to care much
about paths only the filename. Surely it makes sense to use a common
location for common resources.

I have a whole bunch of these dlls with common dependencies and would
like to avoid having versioning problems if possible.
--
Robin Becker