[Q] Rolling your own binary distribution/installation of Python 2.0

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 08:52:05 EDT 2001

"John Copella" <jcopella at cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
news:hgGB6.3133$fs3.916593 at typhoon.tampabay.rr.com...
    [snip]
> to require.  What I need to do instead is provide just the Python runtime
> facilities (interpreter, modules, etc.) so that field engineers can
develop
> scripts on the customer's machine.  The ideal would be to just tar and zip
> the contents of --prefix at some suitable location, but I suspect this
> approach is too simple-minded.

I may be missing something, but it seems to me that this would work.

Not sure why it would be "ideal" (it might require more disk space than
making available some carefully selected subset of the standard
library in frozen form, for example) but it might be less work:-).

> I need to support HP-UX and AIX, fwiw.  Did I miss something?  Clearly
this
> is possible -- ActiveState has done it (unfortunately only for Windows,
> Linux and Solaris), I'm just hoping it's not a lot of work.  Any
additional
> ideas short of digging into the Python installation scripts and rolling my
> own?

Maybe SecretLabs' PY20 is closer to what you want -- lightweight,
non-invasive, no documentation included in the base package.  Maybe
you can find something useful on http://www.pythonware.com/.

Alex