Newbie Question

Steve Purcell stephen_purcell at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 04:52:25 EDT 2001

Gregory T. Weber wrote:
> I just started with the Learning Python book and was not able to get one
> of the simplest programs working.  I suspect that the installation
> is at fault and want to confirm before going any further.  Using Python 2.0 on Solaris 2.6.
>
> The code is
>
> #! /usr/bin/python
>
> print 'First Program'
>
> At the command line this works fine
>
> > python first.py
> First Program
>
> After making first.py executable I figured I could do this
>
> >first.py
>
> but I get the error
>
> print: Command not found.

Here's a hint:

   tcsh% print 'First Program'
   print: Command not found.

The problem appears to lie in the '#!' line -- your shell is ignoring it
and trying to run the script itself.

Try changing the first line to '#!/usr/bin/python'.

-Steve

--
Steve Purcell, Pythangelist
Get testing at http://pyunit.sourceforge.net/