Numerical Recipies for Python

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Mon Apr 23 06:36:14 EDT 2001

"SM" <samir.mishra at norkom.com> writes:

> Does anyone know if Numerical Recipes (or anything similar/better) is
> available in Python? I've only just started learning Python.

The kind of low-level numerical algorithms described in Numerical
Recipes is not Python's strength, the interpreter overhead would be
too high. Mixed C/Python approaches are the answer here.

If you are interested in numerical applications of Python, you should
start with the Scientific Computing Topic Guide, even if it is not
complete and up to date:

          http://www.python.org/topics/scicomp/

As for useful packages, check out:

Numerical Python:   http://pfdubois.com/numpy/
Multipack:          http://pylab.sourceforge.net/
Scientific Python:  http://starship.python.net/crew/hinsen/scientific.html

For interfacing to C and Fortran libraries, see:

SWIG:   http://www.swig.org/
PyFort: http://pyfortran.sourceforge.net/
FPIG:   http://cens.ioc.ee/projects/f2py2e/

Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr