return values from scripts

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 15:03:20 EDT 2001

"Mike Burnett" <mnb at ornl.gov> wrote in message
news:3ADC8257.CC51FE1B at ornl.gov...
> While running a script in the python interpreter, I need to run a second
> script from the first, passing some values to the second.  I know I can
> do this with: execfile('second.py',locals()).  Is there any way to get
> back into the original script one value (a return status) from the
> second script?  Is there any way to get several parameter values back?

Simplest is probably to arrange that second.py sticks his result[s]
into variables in "its" dictionary and first.py fetches them back
from there.  For the purpose I would pass a fresh dictionary:

results = {}
execfile('second.py', vars(), results)

for name, value in results.items():
    print "second.py set %s to %s" % (name, value)

Alex