why python annoys me

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Wed Apr 18 16:57:38 EDT 2001

Martin von Loewis <loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:
[snip]
>> Is it procedural or OO?  Some of the std lib seems to think it is OO,
>> and the other half seems to think it is procedural...
>
> It is both, and I agree with others that it is a good thing. Some of
> Java's API really suffers from having to put everything into a class
> (look at java.lang.math for an example).

I also agree that a language that is both OO and procedural is a
good thing.  Look at JSP (Java server pages).  As I understand it,
the JSP compiler has to turn a JSP page inside out in order to turn
it into a class that will satisfy the language definition. This
convolution is not necessary with Python.

In Python we have the best of both worlds: a procedural language
that can be used for scripting (which I need) *and* an OO language
that can be used to structure code in large (and small) projects
(which I also need).

  - Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman