python on the smalltalk VM

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Thu Apr 19 12:03:22 EDT 2001

Perhaps this is a distorted reference to the Python .NET work?  (The
trip report is written in a fairly scattered way, so it's hard to
figure out if that's the case.)  Judging from the Web site at
www.qks.com, they're working on Smalltalk for .NET,

Another interesting quote from the Wednesday keynote by David Thomas:

        But I'm not suggesting you put young people on a
        pedestal. Look at some other communities they are highly
        regard but have little to say. We had the Python guy come talk
        at a conference and he gave us the same talk that Adele
        Goldberg gave years ago as something new. We were
        saddened. But what we have done is created a Smalltalk black
        hole were no ideas or light gets out. The Python guys
        rediscover our work and they become front page news.

        So Perl, Python, Ruby, Mumps, even APL have active
        newsletters, and publish things.  Way more of a community than
        Smalltalk. Hey a conference on visual programming language in
        Education is coming up, but where are the Smalltalk people.

Indeed.

--amk