Python Books for 2002

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 06:26:38 EDT 2001

"Simon Brunning" <SBrunning at trisystems.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]

But I prefer event-driven code to multi-threading (maybe a legacy
from my Tcl past?-), so...
[Seriously, a "design patterns Python companion" would be a dream
project for me -- but, it _will_ have to wait!-)]

> Is it just me that finds it ironic that Alex is writing 'Python in a
> Nutshell'?

Nope, I can appreciate the irony myself:-).  But then, my professional
life has been _full_ of ironies -- just consider I'm _highly_ verbally
oriented (VERY low visual orientation), yet early in my career I was
working on image processing, and for the last few years I've been
working for a software house which does three-D mechanical design SW!-)

> 'Python in great detail, with many excursions into useful and interesting
> areas of computer science theory and practice' I can see, but 'in a
> Nutshell'? Not exactly playing to his strengths...

Nolo contendere -- concision is NOT my strength.  But, hey, I _do_
always appreciate a worthwhile challenge!-)

> P.S. Yes, I know that the Martellibot can be concise when he wants to be,

I just wish (that it sufficed for me to WANT to be concise to achieve it!-).
Rather, it IS hard work.  Nevertheless, worthwhile...

> but concise good advice is /F's speciality.

He's definitely nonpareil at it!

Alex