If you want X, you know where to find it (was Re: do...until wisdom needed...)

Rainer Deyke root at rainerdeyke.com
Wed Apr 18 10:55:48 EDT 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:9bk56702fkc at news1.newsguy.com...
> My POV is very different -- I see many languages presenting
> constructs that are preferable to Python's current ones in
> certain cases.  If all the constructs were Pythonized, though,
> the simplicity of the language would be utterly destroyed.
> So, it seems to me to be a case (once again) of St. Exupery's
> beautiful quote about perfection being reached, not when
> there is nothing more left to add, but when there is nothing
> more left to take away.

It is often necessary to add something before something can be taken away.
If one new feature makes two old features redundant, adding it would work
toward the goal of increased simplicity even while adding temporary
complexity.  I suspect this may apply to procedural macros.

--
Rainer Deyke (root at rainerdeyke.com)
Shareware computer games           -           http://rainerdeyke.com