ActiveState going the wrong way

Neil Benn neil.benn at cambridgeantibody.com
Tue Apr 10 07:20:27 EDT 2001

Hello,

    hmm, dunno about the multi languages thing - for a long time people have
been coding convienient bits in languages to capture the suitability of the
language for the application.  Examples:-

    GUI development in VB, win32 API calls in VC++
    GUI developmenty in Delphi, back-end stuff in java

My app is:-

    GUI and logic in java, dynamic scripting with Jython (although could use
NetRexx, Javascript and will be working on VBScript).  This can also take in
COM objects via a bridge (although that is a pain in the arse!).

    The fast-growing ability to use a range of languages means that you can
open up areas in a particular language for the power they apply, e.g. Jython
is very easy to use for clear, OO simple code, VBScript is used by a large
section of the world - if you want to include an OSA into scripts for a
product - you'll get more interest if you can incorporate VBScripts (I don't
like it either but it is a reality!), JAVA is very good for static typing
and round-trip enigneering from UML (I would always prefer to code
enterprise solutions in JAVA).

    Finally look at xemacs, a wonderful example of an application which can
switch between different languages which is context sensitive.

    That's my fourpenneth, BTW a quick question attached onto the end of
this:-

    Is there a cross-platform serial port driver available in a module in
Jython (difficult one I know).

Cheers,

Neil

news:3ad259bc.4612388 at News.CIS.DFN.DE...