[Documentation] Python Shelf

Hernan M. Foffani hfoffani at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 10:48:53 EDT 2001

"Thomas Heller" <thomas.heller at ion-tof.com> wrote:
> "Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake at acm.org> wrote in message
> >news:15071.3493.627817.33065 at cj42289-a.reston1.va.home.com...
> > Hernan M. Foffani writes:
> >  > The Python Shelf!
> >  > All the docs you use to like in one package! Includes:
> >
> > Thomas Heller writes:
> >  > I updated Hernan Foffani's pythlp.py script to generate python 2.1
> >  > documentation in Windows HTML Help format.
> >

> >   Are you two doing any coordination?  I'd like to link to or directly
> > provide a version in HTML Help, and am unsure which would be best to
> > use.
> No coordination currently, merely coincidence by accident.

That's right!

What I can promise:
1. To keep the URL http://www.orgmf.com.ar/condor/pytstuff.html online.
2. To provide the a way to download the following files:
   2.1 pythlp.py
   2.2 pythlp.chm
   2.3 pyshelf.chm & c.
3. I'll keep copies of those files of older versions of Python.

> I think the Python Shelf is a great idea!

Thanks!

> Hernan, will you keep Pyshelf in sync with the
> development docs on Sourceforge?

No. :-) Up today my biggest effort is to try to keep the HTML Help and the
Shelf in sync with each major _release_ of Python. And regarding version
2.0 I missed miserably. :-( In this context by "major" I mean python 2.0,
2.1 but not 2.0.1

I think that Python Shelf can be a nice companion for newbies that aren't
very aware of where the docs and helps are. ie: Grab the current release
version of Python, grab the Python Shelf, install everything, and you have
a pretty nice language that comes with an IDE and almost 5MB of compressed
docs with full text search.

I could make some interim version of Python Shelf if the FAQ and/or Howtos
have "good" changes or if I receive enough suggestions.

Regards,
Hernan