Why use Komodo rather than "just an editor"

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Thu Apr 12 12:29:10 EDT 2001

Having raised the ruckus about the MPL terms, let me say some positive
things about Komodo:

|So what does it do that makes it easier than nedit or emacs, for
|writing python code?

There is little/nothing Komodo does that an editor could not do.
Therefore, either emacs already does it, or you could make emacs do it
"just" by writing some elisp code to handle it.  But emacs scares me far
too much, while Komodo doesn't scare me.

Things that Komodo does that -Nedit- does not do:

  - As-you-type code completion popup boxes.
  - "Code check" puts squiggly underlines of various colors under
    questionable syntax as you type (the color coding the kind of
    problem).
  - Code folding, and automatic recognition of Python blocks for fold
    points.
  - Syntax highlighting (OK, Nedit does this too).
  - Debugger that is well integrated with editor (jump to lines, mark
    breakpoint within editor, etc).
  - Project view for collections of related files (a lot of editors do
    this, but not the example Nedit).
  - Tabbed view of multiple files (again, some editors, but not Nedit).

Yours, Lulu...

--
*****[ Phil Hunt ***** philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk ]*****
"Mommy, make the nasty penguin go away." -- Jim Allchin, MS head