why python annoys me

Hernan M. Foffani hfoffani at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 11:58:29 EDT 2001

Martin von Loewis <loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:
> "Delaney, Timothy" <tdelaney at avaya.com> writes:
>
> > In *English* the actor always refers to the subject as most verb
> > conjugations (what few there are ;) do not imply the subject.
>
> Please don't take me as English-centric. I would have normally brought
> up German examples ("Das verstehe ich."), but then nobody would have
> understood me :-) Even though there are more verb conjugations in
> German than in English, it is still mandatory to have a subject when
> you have an object.

And to those who mentioned Spanish, as a case of "self" being implicit, I
have to markup that the _verb_ is conjugated in the first person singular.

We can make Python like Spanish (or some other Latin language) by making
"self" implicit. But we have to conjugate the _method_ (verb).

For instance, instead of:
   self.display()
we might say:
   display__me__()
or something like that.

I'd rather have Python with mandatory subject.
:-P

-Hernán