Newbie needs book advice

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Apr 16 08:05:30 EDT 2001

"Jim Hill" <jimhill at meldrick.swcp.com> wrote in message
news:slrn9djlmo.asa.jimhill at meldrick.swcp.com...
> In <cdboerger-855FF8.09315615042001 at nnrp01.earthlink.net>,
> Christopher W. Boerger <cdboerger at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >Ultimately, after I learn how to use Python well, I hope to create a
> >free astronomical ephemeris program.
>
> Yeah, that's the usual next step for people new to Python.
>

> Jim, who has no idea what "astronomical ephemeris" means

An ephemeris is a chart of planetary positions at certain times, used (among
other things) to construct horoscopes. Ephemerides have been used for
thousands of years, and the value of functions able to calcualte plantary
positions for arbitrary times is the avoidance of the usually-required
interpolation between tabulated positions.

Note that for astrological purposes the positions are Earth-relative, and
the Sun is considered a planet.

but-i-predict-this-won't-help-you-decide-whether-they're-useful-ly y'rs  -
steve