Python on the AS/400?

Paul Nicolay paIulHATE_nicSPAMolay at merck.com
Tue Apr 3 05:16:25 EDT 2001

Hi Kragen,

I'll try to answer your questions...

1. The AS/400 is indeed a reasonable platform (and scales way beyond what
others offer) to have network servers running, the question is however is
Python the best environment to write them in (which I doubt seriously) ?

2. No idea... check the guys to wrote the port.

3. No idea... check the guys to wrote the port.

4. You can get accounts for less, but they probably don't offer you Python
for testing purposes.  Maybe the best approach is again to contact the guys
from the port.

Kind regards,
Paul
------------------------------

Kragen Sitaker wrote in message ...
I have a Python program I'd like to run on an AS/400.

Actually, I don't have an AS/400; what I really want is to be able to
tell customers that it runs on the AS/400 with such-and-such
performance.

I use select.select (via asyncore), so I can't run my program at all in
Jython, and if I implemented select and non-blocking sockets in Java so
I could, it would be pathetically nonscalable (unless I used Matt
Welsh's NBIO JNI module: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/proj/java-nbio
--- which probably doesn't run on the AS/400.)

I found http://home.no.net/pgummeda/, which is a port of CPython 2.0 to
the AS/400, which is wonderful.

So I have a couple of questions:
- is the AS/400 a reasonable platform to do this kind of thing on ---
  running network servers that handle thousands of simultaneous TCP
  connections efficiently?  I'm afraid I'm pretty ignorant about
  AS/400s in general, so please forgive me if this is an insulting
  question.
- does the AS/400 CPython port have select.select?  Does it have any
  kind of reasonable performance?
- how stable is the AS/400 CPython port?
- is there an AS/400 on which I could get an account (for under $1000,
  say) so I could run some tests?  Or do I have to buy my own?  It
  looks like they cost several thousand dollars on eBay.
--
<kragen at pobox.com>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we possess

       my employer, Merck & Co., Inc.  All responsibility for the statements
       sender.