Musing out loud... [Why not Smalltalk?]

Reinout Heeck reinz at Desk.org
Sun Apr 15 07:55:56 EDT 2001

Eric Langjahr wrote:

> I'm not sure you info on 'hotspot' is totally correct.  If I recall
> there was another company working on this vm called Anamorphic, I
> think.
>
> At any rate I think the initial plans were for this vm technology to
> be used in smalltalk implementations.
>
> Sun bought the company and the technology was morphed to be used in
> the java vm.
>
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2001 10:58:29 +0200, Reinout Heeck <reinz at Desk.org>
> wrote:

[...]
> >Javaites probably know that the Self VM project was where Sun's
> >'hotspot' technology was developed.

Here's how Sun presents it
  http://java.sun.com/products/hotspot/whitepaper.html

"
The Java HotSpot performance engine architecture addresses the Java
programming language performance issues described above by using
adaptive optimization technology. Adaptive optimization is the fruit of
many years of research into object-oriented language implementation
performed by the Self group at Sun's research division.
"

Reinout
-------