GUI Toolkit API? (was: Tkinter and wxPython)

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Fri Apr 20 20:56:10 EDT 2001

In article <3AE0C796.3020500 at netscape.net>,
Rocco Moretti  <roccomoretti at netscape.net> wrote:
			.
>So why can't we make programs that can run under any windowing toolkit?
			.
			.
			.
>What I envision is that a programmer with simple GUI needs would program
>in a generic API,
>and the program would dynamically determine which toolkits are
>available, and use the appropriate
>one. One could even specify your preferences by, for example, passing a
>list: ['Tk','wxWindows',None].
>
>Any thoughts on whether something like that could be made to work?
			.
			.
			.
Yes.  My thought--borrowed from several more knowledgeable
people who've already considered this--is that it's not go-
ing to happen.  GUI toolkits are too different.

A lot of consolidation between specific toolkits *is* pos-
sible.  The wxWindows people have been leaders in this, and
I occasionally do small things that encourage other such
unifications.

I'll bet, though, that we never get something as satisfying
as the database folks have achieved.  You're right to ask
for it; it just turns out to be too hard.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net