Class Variable Question

Douglas Alan nessus at mit.edu
Mon Apr 9 19:24:32 EDT 2001

scarblac at pino.selwerd.nl (Remco Gerlich) writes:

> > In practice it is a *very* significant problem.  This is certainly one
> > of the largest sources of bugs.  And it is, annoyingly enough, one of
> > the few valid complaints that Perl devotees can make against Python.

> Huh? In Perl it's even worse. Python will complain if you use a
> variable it hasn't heard of, Perl just assumes it has a value of
> 0...

Perl has a "use strict" mode or somesuch, and when you turn on that
mode variables have to be declared before being assigned to or
referenced.  Don't get me wrong, Perl is the most painful blight on
the face of the Earth since Lionel Richie, but that doesn't mean that
it did *everything* wrong.

> > Why not be honest:  It's a wart on the language.  But no language is
> > perfect and Python is far better than most.

> It's absolutely not a wart, it is a strength. Complete programmer
> freedom is the *point* of much of Python.

I'm not arguing against "programmer freedom".  I'm arguing for
features that reduce bugs without reducing power.