A couple garbage collector questions

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Apr 3 00:02:51 EDT 2001

Kragen Sitaker wrote:

> Reference-counting exacts very heavy performance costs, no matter what
> you back it up with.

Something nobody has mentioned yet is that RC is cache-friendly,
whereas pure M&S is quite cache-hostile. This is important
now that most machine architectures are heavily reliant
on cacheing for good performance, and I believe that it is
one of the main reasons for retaining RC alongside the new
GC mechanisms.

The other reason is backwards compatibility with existing
extension modules.

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg