Python vs. PHP

Elf Sternberg elf at halcyon.com
Mon Apr 23 00:07:23 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.987816031.15651.python-list at python.org>
    William Park <parkw at better.net> writes:

>On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 07:31:36PM -0500, ll wrote:
>> How does Python stack up against PHP in terms of performance?  PHP runs
>> as a module in Apache, I think, whereas Python runs in a seperate
>> process.  What kind of overhead is there in starting up the VM for each
>> page hit?  How well does it scale?

>Python is stand-alone general script language, much like Perl.  Whereas
>PHP is designed to integrate into HTML file as another <...> syntax, so
>it has very tight interface with SQL database and Apache, naturally.
>But, Python and PHP are very different beast.

        In a sense, true, but only in a sense.  Webware makes Python
very much like PHP in the sense that it allows for PSP (Python Server
Pages) with persistance and all the rest.  Used with the mod_webware
extension that comes with the latest version, its performance is
comparable to PHP, it has all of the capabilities of PHP, and it's in
Python, language that in just a month has convinced me to give up on
Perl and Java exept where deemed essential by the employer-- which sadly
is all too often.

                Elf

--
Elf M. Sternberg, rational romantic mystical cynical idealist
http://www.halcyon.com/elf/

Fast food restaurants are like gay bathhouses in San Francisco,
places where people go to engage in high-risk behaviors.
		- Greg Critser