Stepping backwards in for loop?

Robert Amesz rcameszREMOVETHIS at dds.removethistoo.nl
Sat Apr 14 15:39:35 EDT 2001

Gustaf Liljegren wrote:

> Can't figure out how to step backwards, character by character in a
> string. I was looking for a loop countruct with a counter to handle
> this, but the for loop in Python doesn't let me step backwards.
> What is the alternative?
>
> Gustaf

Python 2.0 (#8, Oct 16 2000, 17:27:58) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> for i in range(10,0,-1):
...    print i,
10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Now, that wasn't too hard, was it? ;-)

Another two bits of advice:
1 - As a Windows-user, pick up the Python documentation in HTML-help
    format (.CHM). It's somewhere on Robin Dunn's pages, IIRC. Being
    able to search for keywords reaaly helps to speed things up.

2 - Totally unrelated to Python: upgrade to the latest Xnews, there's a
    new official release out, with a bucketload of new nifty features.
    You'll love it.

Robert Amesz