OT - Closing Off An Open-Source Product

Carlos Ribeiro cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br
Thu Apr 12 12:58:33 EDT 2001

At 07:32 12/04/01 -0500, you wrote:
>It'd be OK if VMWare was only free.

Funny. You don't mind paying to have Windows for your family to work with,
but don't want to pay some bucks for a software that may make you able to
use Linux and Windows in a stable configuration at home. It's even better -
it allows you to keep completely different PC configurations for every
member of your family and then some extra for your work.

I have other gripes with VMware, at least for the version I have tested
some months ago. I think it's way too heavy for my particular PC today.
Some hardware are not supported natively, which affects mostly 3D games. It
may make use a little bit more difficult for other users - not much, in
fact. It's a little bit expensive for personal use. However, I'm just
upgrading my PC, and the first thing that I'll will do is install VMWare on
it. I think that the advantages are enough.

p.s. there are alternatives, which I dont remember the name right now.
VMware is not alone. If you want to run only Windows as the second system,
there are faster (and less expensive) alternatives.

Carlos Ribeiro