Whither SmallScript? (was Re: Integer micro-benchmarks)

Andrew Hunt andy at toolshed.com
Fri Apr 27 13:19:04 EDT 2001

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 16:17:24 GMT, Courageous <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> wrote:

> >Ruby's popularity is growing internationally, slowly but steadily.  Dave
> >and I wrote an article on Ruby for the January (25th anniversary issue)
> >of Dr. Dobb's Journal, we've just had a stellar review on slashdot.org,
> >the community is growing in size and capability on a daily basis.
>
> You're posting to a _Python_ newsgroup.

Not on purpose.  I'm replying to a posting on comp.object which
happens to be cross-posted to your Python group.

> What's so special about Ruby?

Well, since you asked:

It's fully OO, without excuses.
It has iterators.
It supports unlimited length integers that automatically promote as needed (as
   in SmallTalk).
Whitespace in the input isn't significant :-)

There's more, but I won't waste your time if you aren't interested. We've
got a presentation or two on www.pragmaticprogrammer.com if you are
interested.

> The authors need to work on detailed documentation
> pretty badly, it seems.

Well, Dave and I wrote a 620 page book detailing the language
and the libraries.  It's also available free in HTML or XML
form.

Does that count?

/\ndy

--
Andrew Hunt, The Pragmatic Programmers, LLC.
Innovative Object-Oriented Software Development
web:   http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com   email: andy at pragmaticprogrammer.com
--
Books by Andrew Hunt and David Thomas:
    "The Pragmatic Programmer" (Addison-Wesley 2000)