other python ideas

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Apr 9 23:00:15 EDT 2001

Carlos Alberto Reis Ribeiro wrote:

> In the end, Robin Thomas found a nice way to solve the problem
> *without* having to resort to a magic __assign__ method. I believe that
> this may lead to a big improvement, specially for NumPy operations.

It's an elegant solution, but I find it a bit scary
to think that some '+' operators might invoke __iadd__
instead of __add__ under certain conditions which are
not necessarily obvious from looking at the source.
We'd lose some of the WYWIWYG (What You Write Is What
You Get) nature of Python.

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg