OT - Closing Off An Open-Source Product

Paul Prescod paulp at ActiveState.com
Wed Apr 11 20:21:15 EDT 2001

Chris Watson wrote:

> First lets agree on something if we can. I have always made it clear the
> GPL is not a free license. The delusion that it is boggles me.

The GPL tried to protect the freedom of end-users to modify and
redistribute their code. Most people do not believe that this is a
legitimate freedom like freedom of speech or assembly but Richard
Stallman does. I don't think that there is an argument that will
persuade a person one way or another. If freedoms could be proven, that
famous document would probably start: "Not everyone holds these truths
to be self-evident, so we've worked up a proof of them as Appendix A."

Either you believe in IP or you don't. Either you believe in the freedom
to copy whatever you want, whenever you want, or you don't. So I don't
see how further argument would resolve anything.
--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.