Python Books for 2002

Mats Wichmann xyzmats at laplaza.org
Sat Apr 14 22:53:31 EDT 2001

On 10 Apr 2001 17:48:34 -0700, aahz at panix.com (Aahz Maruch) wrote:

>[cc'd to Fred Drake]
>
>In article <9avhkm0tjh at drn.newsguy.com>,
>Grant Griffin  <not.this at seebelow.org> wrote:
>>
>>I have a more general gripe with the Python docs: that you have to go
>>through a process of learning where things are.  (And after more than
>>a year, I'm still learning...)  I think the individual docs themselves
>>are well written, but I think the overall way they are organized makes
>>them pretty hard to use.  (Perhaps this is a historical thing: maybe an
>>accretion problem.  So perhaps they should be totally reorganized.)
>>
>>For example, when I was new to Python, I looked for an explantion of
>>"print" in the "built-in functions" section.  However, it turns out
>>that print is a _statement_ (which is a fine point that's lost on
>>beginners...), and, as such, a complete description of "print" appears
>>only in the reference manual.  Well, obviously.
>
>Yup.  I've been complaining about this to Fred Drake for some time, but
>we haven't hit a spot where both of us have the time/energy to really
>work on this.  It's currently my ball.

Mmm, yes, this had me going for a while, too.  My favorite, I think,
was the set of eval/exec/execfile, which seem to go together but
aren't that way in the reference since two are functions and one is a
statement.

Mats Wichmann

(Anti-spam stuff: to reply remove the "xyz" from the
address xyzmats at laplaza.org. Not that it helps much...)