[ANNOUNCE] Umbra role-playing game 0.2 pre-alpha

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Mon Apr 23 05:05:03 EDT 2001

<s713221 at student.gu.edu.au> wrote in message
news:3AE22CE7.FC00ED7E at student.gu.edu.au...
>  but when a group of companies
> starts to squeeze money out of those who can ill afford it,

Tell that to the homeless guy begging for spare change outside your
university bookstore.  You may feel yourself to be financially destitute but
you are hardly the lowest one on the totem pole.  Be thankful you are
acquiring an education.

> they really
> should feel ashamed about squealing when somebody gets sick of it and
> organizes a freer and cheaper alternative, now shouldn't they?

Business isn't about shame.  It's about driving competitors into the ground.
Government regulation is about preventing the skewing effects of monopoly
capitol, so that the consumer and society benefit from the merciless
competition.  Nowhere in these equations are kisses and cuddles.  PR people
may try to make you believe otherwise.

> Using an analogy, my mother and father originally only contributed
> twenty minutes of sweating and grunting to start me off, but it'd be
> damned hard for me to be here without them.

Bad analogy.  Quite a number of people's parents *did* contribute only that
much, and it shows in the general state of humanity.

--
Cheers,                                     www.3DProgrammer.com
Brandon Van Every                           Seattle, WA

For plot and pace, writers use words; game designers use numbers.
Anything understood over time has plot and pace.