Know of Substantial Apps Written in Python?

Hernan M. Foffani hernan.foffani at iname.com
Fri Apr 6 15:02:02 EDT 2001

Grant Griffin <not.this at seebelow.org> wrote:

> >> You make it sound as if that were the only kind of programming worth
> >> doing! ;-)
>
> Naw, I was just drawing a distinction...
>
> >I've used Python in really serious real time systems --
>
> Just curious: were they also "embedded"?  The reason I ask is that
> embedded systems typically have just the bare minimum of
> resources--things like memory, processor throughput, peripherals, etc.
 .
 .
 .
The "real time" capability of a language doesn't relate to its performance,
which is always relative, but on its time-determistic properties. heh,
that's the theory!

On embedded systems the problems are that you are short of resources, as
you said. The thing is that many (most?) real-time systems are built on
embedded devices, so performance et al. are the practical big issues to
solve.

BTW. I don't like to channel anybody, but if Fredrik was talking about real
time *programming*, python is the best tool around! :-)

Regards,
-Hernan

                       Usenet for the Web