Smallest Standalone Distributable Possible?

Kragen Sitaker kragen at dnaco.net
Tue Apr 3 03:24:01 EDT 2001

In article <9absjh$4dcfa$1 at ID-59885.news.dfncis.de>,
Thomas Heller <thomas.heller at ion-tof.com> wrote:
>Places to start:
>
>http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/
>and
>http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/install1.html

Thanks!  Neither is quite what I want (even py2exe, despite being
incredibly cool, can't link pythonXX.dll into the resulting executable
statically) but both are major steps in the right direction.  If I can
get Freeze to do static linking on Windows --- ideally only of the
modules my program uses --- I will be happy.

I know this is a more demanding and inefficient level of integration
than most Windows programs have, but I want my stuff to be a lot
easier to install and uninstall than the average Windows program.  I
want someone to be able to download a single .exe file from a web site
and run it and have my program work; then I want them to be able to
delete the file to uninstall the application, leaving behind only
files they asked the program to create during its execution.

I could have a much smaller executable (or Python script) for people
who already have Python installed.

--
<kragen at pobox.com>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we possess