Curl, the language/environment/markup language...(Spanish Civil War)...

Christopher Barber cbarber at curl.com
Fri Apr 13 09:12:55 EDT 2001

 >> You work at/for Curl, so you're biased :-)

Of course, that is true.  I should say that I myself was very skeptical about
Curl before I came to work here.  It took a lot of convincing that there was
going to be a market for a new programming language, and even though I am an
engineer, I made sure to talk to Curl's marketing team and understand the
business plan before I accepted the job.

 >> A far more pernicious part of
 >> the license is that you must agree to allow curl to send valuable
 >> demographic (and other?) data about people visiting your curled
 >> website. You agree that this is done automatically at whatever time the
 >> curl program wants to do this as far as I can tell.

It is not our intention at all to gather or distribute any marketing or
demographic data.  All we want to know is how much Curl content is being used
from what sites.  This is not my department, but I believe that we are going
to open our metering operation up to independent auditors to make sure we are
not doing anything naughty.

 >> Marketing companies pay the likes of grocery stores for this sort of
 >> information about product sales etc., why should you all be any different?

Because we know that people will be much less likely to want to use Curl if
they feel their personal information is being collected and sold.

- Christopher