Chocolate [was Re: Python Books for 2002]

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Apr 6 12:26:50 EDT 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote ...
> "Cameron Laird" <claird at starbase.neosoft.com> wrote ...
>     [snip]
> > fact, I've been fond of C++ at several times, and still
> > use it frequently--but anything (like children's
> > organized sports in the USA, certain religions, and
> > Kashmiri cartography) that inspires such violent clashes
> > makes me wonder whether a better approach isn't overdue.
>
> I'm appalled at such flame-shy criteria.  Probably the
> most violent recurring clashes I have with my girlfriend
> are about varieties of chocolate -- would this stance
> imply that something *better than chocolate* is overdue?
> (I think the part between the stars is an oxymoron...).

Well, if you *do* find something better that chocolate, I hope
you'll send some over here (although your later remarks imply
we would have to prise it from your cold, dead hands).

> > The complementary point I also recognize, of course:
> > C++ is about such important things that it's *worth*
> > starting a fight.
>
> Now THAT is better -- chocolate IS worth starting a
> fight.  (Would you BELIEVE that some bedraggled purists
> don't UNDERSTAND white chocolate and claim it's heretic,
> and on the other side some floopy milksops can't stand
> 90%-pure-cocoa superblack chocolate and claim its taste
> is [you won't believe this!] _too harsh_...?!  Ah, us
> sensible moderate types [deliriously loving ALL varieties
> of high-quality chocolate -- each in its proper place and
> time, of course!] really lead a hard life...!).

One thing I *don't* understand is how come the stuff Hershey and similar
companies sell is even allowed to be called chocolate. One of the nastier
surprises about moving to the USA was the discovery that many items sold
under the Cadbury label are actually manufactured under license by Hershey,
and all they seem to have in common is the name, the shape and the
packaging.

Look out for Cadbury's mini-eggs this Easter - they are imported, and hence
give me a chance at a taste of the real thing.

Oh, sorry, you were talking about *high-quality* chocolate. There's some
pretty good Belgian stuff in my local Whole Foods store.

what-a-pity-bathing-in-chocolate-doesn't-make-one-cleaner-as-well-as-better-
tasting-ly y'rs  - steve