Class Variable Question

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 10 08:21:55 EDT 2001

"Ken Seehof" <kens at sightreader.com> wrote in message
"""
This is interesting in that I often want to do the exact opposite in
C++.  That is, I want to add extra data to an existing object,
especially when this is -not- intended by the author of the original
code, who neglected to add in a "void *pUserData" for me.
"""

It happens (oh *Lord* does it ever).  When it does, of course,
one kludges it up with a mapping from the external objects to
one's own extensions (bleah -- but better than falling into the
trap of forking the externally-supplied 'external objects',
even if you do have sources for them... maintenance becomes
a nightmare when you do fall into that trap).

Alex