A couple garbage collector questions

Keith Ray k1e2i3t4h5r6a7y at 1m2a3c4.5c6o7m
Sat Apr 14 11:33:02 EDT 2001

In article <3d8zlgv0ab.fsf at ute.cnri.reston.va.us>, Andrew Kuchling
<akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> wrote:

> "Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> writes:
> > [Douglas Alan]
> > > Another question: Why didn't Python just include Bohm's conservative
> > > GC package to implement Python's cycle detection?
> >
> > Try it yourself, and you'll discover the answer.
> >
> > or-at-least-today's-answer-ly y'rs  - tim
>
> To clarify Tim's oracular answer, the last time it was tried there was
> a significant performance hit.  Patches for 1.5.2 are at
> http://www.enme.ucalgary.ca/~nascheme/python/gc.html, so you
> can experiment with them.  The Boehm package is also some awfully
> hairy code, so porting it to new platforms would be painful.

I believe the makers of the product SmartHeap claim that linking the
XWindows library with SmartHeap not only removed all memory leaks (using
SmartHeap's garbage collection), but also improved its speed... has
anyone tried linking Python with SmartHeap just for fun?

Unfortunately, IIRC, it is an expensive commercial product...

--
       <http://homepage.mac.com/keithray/resume.html>