Nested scope misconceptions (was Re: FP in Python)

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Sat Apr 21 17:50:12 EDT 2001

In article <9bsgt50udc at news2.newsguy.com>,
Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your sentence.  Nested scoping,
>if that's what you mean, is in Python 2.1 (experimental, yet, you
>have to explicitly enable it; will be standard in 2.2).

No, nested scopes are *not* "experimental"; they are simply off by
default in 2.1 to give people time to tidy up their code while still
using other features and bug fixes in 2.1  Unless one explicitly turns
off warnings, any code that will cause problems with the current
implementation of nested scopes will generate a warning.  It is also
possible to set warnings to generate errors to prevent the code from
running at all.

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het Pythonista   http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"Beware of companies that claim to be like a family.  They might not be
lying."  --Jill Lundquist