other python ideas

Remco Gerlich scarblac at pino.selwerd.nl
Mon Apr 9 05:00:51 EDT 2001

Douglas Alan <nessus at mit.edu> wrote in comp.lang.python:
> "Jeff Petkau" <jpet at eskimo.com> writes:
>
> > Douglas Alan <nessus at mit.edu> wrote in message
>
> > >    mymodule::foo(a, b, c)
>
> > > This syntax would invoke mymodule.foo(), and would load module
> > > "mymodule" it if it wasn't already loaded.  You'd probably also want
> > > some sort of module aliasing notation so you could use
>
> > >   alias m my_really_long_named_module
> > >   m::foo(a, b, c)
>
> > > in place of
>
> > >   my_really_long_named_module::foo(a, b, c)
>
> > How is this any better than:
>
> >     import my_really_long_named_module as m
> >     m.foo(a, b, c)
> > ?
>
> Well, because, like I said, I'd like to get rid of import statements
> altogether.

Recently people want to get rid of import, change the clear semantics of the
assignment statement, add stricter interfaces, make more private members of
classes, do bytecode optimization...

When Terry Pratchett announced the film script based on his Mort book, the
American film companies said they really liked it, it was really funny,
except could he cut out the bits about Death, they didn't like that...[1]

Seems to me people think Python is really cool, if only it weren't Python,
but language <insert something like Java here>...

[1] The book is about Death, only.

--
Remco Gerlich