do...until wisdom needed...

Andrew Dalke dalke at acm.org
Tue Apr 17 21:39:00 EDT 2001

Douglas Alan:
> Everytime you read someone else's code you have to understand the
> functions they've defined before you can understand their code.
> Let's get rid of functions too!

Ohh!  Ohh!  I've got a quote about that!
> "The truth lies somewhere in the middle."
 :)

Trust me, if I could get rid of functions I would.  It's getting
to the point where I'm starting to get tired of learning
yet-another-library.  The only thing that makes that decent in
Python is that the structure of those programs can't be as, ahem,
wildly creative as I've seen in other code and the core set
of data structures Python provides are good enough that the
different libraries each don't decide to rewrite a list, or
string, or hash table implementation.

Even then, there's times where I give up and rewrite the code
myself because I can't figure out what's going on.  I shudder
at giving still more flexibility in how to write those functions.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at acm.org