ActiveState going the wrong way

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Tue Apr 10 14:53:36 EDT 2001

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 06:28:16PM +0000, costas at meezon.com wrote:
| On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 22:24:43 -0600, "bowman" <bowman at montana.com>
| wrote:
|
| >> An IDE that tries to accomodate multiple languages is a poor IDE.
| >
| >In general, my idea of an IDE is gVim. However, to give the devil his due,
| >the MS IDE can accomodate several languages while providing a common set of
| >tools. Part of the reason I stick to gVim is the seamless support for just
| >about any language I choose to work with. True, it is just an editor and not
| >a IDE, but if I go to the trouble of learning my way around an IDE, I
| >certainly would want it to support all the languages I customarily use.
|
| Can gVim do the following?
|
| a) Have autocompletion / intellisense in the editor.

no, this is one feature that would be really cool.  OTOH, it makes for
a lazy coder who can't (doesn't, rather) remember the
function/variable names.  (This is from experience using JBuilder for
a while)

| b) Have a built in debugger

no, that's the debugger's job, not the editor <wink>.  Use the
debugger best suited for the current language.  A link between them
(to jump to particular lines of code) would be cool.

| c) A console to execute ad-hoc commands.

sort of, with the ':!' command.  Emacs can have a buffer with a shell
running in it (and still use other buffers).  (can vim have a
persistant buffer like that?)

| Where can i check it out?

www.vim.org

BTW, (g)vim is scriptable using python (and perl and tcl) so any of
the desired connections with other programs can be created.

-D