Good-deed opportunity, removing recursive C calls for mxTextTools tag function

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at home.com
Mon Apr 30 13:21:36 EDT 2001

I've recently been working on revising SimpleParse to be more reliable,
simple and predictable (not to mention easier to change).  In doing this,
I've come up against the recursive-call structure of mxTextTools Table
commands.

I've talked with Marc-André, and he doesn't have the time to work on
revising the function, and the C is way beyond me.  What looks to be
required is the following:

currentTable = figureOutTableValues( parent = NULL )
	{ C struct giving:
		table-processing local values,
		the result,
		and the parent or NULL
	}
while currentTable: # while 1, whatever :)
	case TableCommand:
		currentTable = figureOutTableValues( parent = currentTable )
		do next Table
	... # other commands

	# when finished with any given table
	# figure out the table "result tuple"
	if currentTable['parent']:
		currentTable['parent']['result'] = result
		currentTable = currentTable['parent'] # delete current too
		# do the "finished with a recursive table logic here"
	else:
		return currentTable['result']

In Python, that's all trivial stuff, so I assume it would be similarly
trivial for C coders, I just don't know the language enough to work at it.
So, if there are any C coders out there looking for a good-deed to do, this
would be appreciated by me.  Don't know if Marc-André will actually include
the revision in mxTextTools (since it might slow things down for
non-recursive code), but if not, it'd be part of SimpleParse's archive.

If anyone's interested, give me a shout and I can give more info,
background, etceteras (and make sure multiple people aren't all working on
the same thing at the same time :) ).

Dib-dib-dib, dob-dob-dob,
Mike

 Mike C. Fletcher