how to calculate the size of sys.stdin?

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at usa.net
Wed Apr 11 19:14:25 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kalle Svensson" <kalle at gnupung.net>
Subject: Re: how to calculate the size of sys.stdin?

> Sez Graham Guttocks:
> > Is there a way to calculate the size (in bytes) of sys.stdin?
>
> No, sys.stdin has no size.  What you can do is read from sys.stdin and
check
> how much you got:

sys.stdin has size if it is connected to a normal file, or
to some device nodes (in unixoid OS environments).  Size is
not available for terminals, pipes, etc.

I just tested with Python 1.5.2 under Linux 2.2 and got 0
for size of a terminal, but correct figures for file sizes
using redirection:

    $ python sizer.py
    0

    $ python sizer.py <sizer.py