[ANNOUNCE] Umbra role-playing game 0.2 pre-alpha

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Wed Apr 18 18:07:07 EDT 2001

In article <slrn9dnd8o.1ca8.kamikaze at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu>,
Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes <kamikaze at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu> wrote:

>  Umbra is a computer role-playing game written in Python, similar to
>Alternate Reality and Bard's Tale, with influences from roguelike games
>and console RPGs, and set in a universe of Lovecraftian elder gods.

Cool!

>  Right now, I mostly just want feedback on performance and the
>interface, if it works on your machine, if I'm completely insane to be
>writing a game like this in Python, why there are two Arthurian items in
>the town for testing (and there may be a Grail somewhere!), or whatever.

Looks decent so far, but it's pretty dinky at 1280x1024 on a 19"
monitor.  ;-)  I'd suggest making object manipulation your next task,
so it's not just wandering around.  Particularly as a pure RPG, Python
is more than fast enough; after all, Severance: Blade of Darkness is a
realtime hack'n'slash that's mostly Python.

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het Pythonista   http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"If we had some ham, we could have ham & eggs, if we had some eggs." --RH