PythonWin 2 UNIX

Neil Hodgson neilh at scintilla.org
Thu Apr 5 19:12:34 EDT 2001

doug:

> but the point is that this seems wrong.  Python is billed as being "cross
> platform", not "cross platform once you run a utility or boot up PFE and
> convert the file."  In general I really like PythonWin so I hate to say
> anything negative about it, but if PFE can get by w/o line endings on
win32,
> why can't PyWin?  Maybe this will show my ignorance, but if the same
> scintilla source can build on both windows and unix, why can't it be
> modified to be like PFE and not need line endings?

   Scintilla does allow lines to be ended by \r\n or \n or \r. You can see
this by opening a file with any of the line endings in PythonWin. The View |
End-of-line markers command will show what is being used. What is missing in
PythonWin is an option for setting the line ending inserted when you press
Enter. PythonWin uses \r\n to be compatible with other Windows programs. On
Windows, Python is happy to run programs that use wither \r\n or \n as line
endings - I would have expected the Unix version to be just as capable.

   If you want to convert your copy of PythonWin to use \n rather than \r\n,
open Pythonwin\pywin\framework\editor\color\coloreditor.py and find the
string SCISetIndentationGuides and there add the line:
  self.SendScintilla(SCI_SETEOLMODE, SC_EOL_LF)

   Neil