thread conditional code

Steve Purcell stephen_purcell at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 06:42:22 EDT 2001

Robin Becker wrote:
> It seems that using a lock requires the threading overhead; so is there
> any way to avoid locking when threading hasn't been started? I guess I
> would like to know if thread.c's initialized variable is true / false.
>
> That way I could conditionally lock access to contentious variables and
> avoid thread overhead when not needed.

But would such conditional locking code be thread-safe?

    if threading_started:
         lock()
    # threading could start here
    code_that_should_run_safely()

I would expect the OS' threading libraries to take care of minimising
threading overhead in the case where only one thread is running.

-Steve

--
Steve Purcell, Pythangelist
Get testing at http://pyunit.sourceforge.net/