ActiveState Ruby?

Thaddeus L. Olczyk olczyk at interaccess.com
Wed Apr 4 04:25:25 EDT 2001

On Sun, 01 Apr 2001 15:00:08 GMT, "Daniel Berger"
<djberg96 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think one of the reasons for Python's
>growing popularity is the fact that ActiveState has a Python distribution
>(the other reason being O'Reilly).
Hi. Just passing through and thought I would clear up some
misapprehensions about Python.
Anyone who thinks that ActiveState has played a major role in Python's
growth has their head up their ass.
The growth in Python took off at least a half year before ActiveState
produced anything ( most linux distro still distribute 1.x versions
ActiveState didn't release anything untill 2.0 ).
After 2.0 the distribution on python.org was available.
There was a short time when the BeOpen site was down, and
the only place to find the latest version of python was at ActiveState
and most downloads came from there. Otherwise  it just seemed more
convinient to download BeOpen's version. Plus if BeOpens version
disagreed with ActiveStates on a point, who do you think would have
the correct version?