Performance measurements (was: python on the smalltalk VM)

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Thu Apr 19 10:18:36 EDT 2001

In article <lcu23lsi7q.fsf at gaffa.mit.edu>,
Douglas Alan  <nessus at mit.edu> wrote:
			.
		[apt summary of Self]
			.
>After many years of research, they came up with a compiler for Self
>that would generate code that runs about one half to one third the
>speed of compiled C code.  This is 30 to 50 times faster than Python.
			.
			.
			.
Something's not right here.  Even recognizing, as
I'm sure we all do, that the speeds of various
languages are exceedingly fuzzy measurements, it's
been a loooooooong time since I've seen any signif-
icant comparisons which put C two decimal orders of
magnitude faster than Python.  Is there a typo
somewhere in this transmission?  Do you have a
specific instance of such a measurement?  It might
be instructive.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net