ActivePython 2.1 (build 210)

Bjorn Pettersen BPettersen at NAREX.com
Thu Apr 19 21:42:19 EDT 2001

Hi Paul,

First, thanks for putting this together (it's amazing how much easier it is
to get someone to install Python when they don't have to separately install
the win32 extensions :-)

Second, I must apologize for what is probably a stupid question.... You
mention a rebuilt package repository with Numeric etc., but I can't find
them. I have a downloads directory with Insall.Numeric and Install.PIL files
but they only contain an empty string ('').

Help?

-- bjorn

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Prescod [mailto:paulp at ActiveState.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2001 3:51 PM
To: python-list at python.org
Subject: Ann: ActivePython 2.1 (build 210)

We are pleased to announce ActivePython 2.1 (build 210), a distribution
of Python 2.1.

http://www.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePython/

ActivePython contains a superset of the functionality available in the
reference distribution of Python. It has been tested on a variety of
platforms including various variants of Windows 9X, NT and 2000, Red Hat
and Debian.

Highlights of ActivePython 2.1:

 On all platforms:

  * full Python 2.1 support (100% compatible)
  * rebuilt package repository including Numeric, PIL, PyXML, etc.
  * bundled XML parser and zlib compression library

 On Win32:

 * interactive win32 module browser
 * bundled Tk
 * enhanced version of the bundled Pythonwin environment
 * upgraded win32 extensions

ActivePython 2.1 also supports all of the new features of Python 2.1,
including:

 * "weak references" facility for implementing caches and other similar
data structures.
 * richer comparison mechanism
 * warning framework
 * new module documentation extraction facility
 * ability to refer to variables from any containing scope.
 * unit testing features
 * faster line by line file reading

We at ActiveState are proud to provide ActivePython to the Python
community!

 Paul Prescod
 ActivePython Technical Lead
--