Python 2.1 running on Mac OS X 10.0.1 here

John W. Baxter jwbaxter at olympus.net
Sun Apr 22 15:19:00 EDT 2001

I built Python 2.1 as a Mac OS X admin user, using:

./configure --with-suffix=.exe --with-dyld"
make

Then in make test, I saw the following error
test_re
make: *** [test] Segmentation fault

I disabled test_re.py (and test_largefile.py:  it takes a while and
passed four times...it should keep passing).

Then in make test, I saw:
test_sre
make: *** [test] Segmentation fault

(which suggests that the error in test_re.py is really in the underlying
sre module).

After I disabled test_sre.py, the make test ran to completion,
reporting:
112 tests OK.
22 tests skipped: test_al test_cd test_cl test_dl test_fcntl test_gdbm
test_gl test_gzip test_imgfile test_linuxaudiodev test_locale
test_minidom test_nis test_poll test_pty test_pyexpat test_sax
test_sunaudiodev test_winreg test_winsound test_zipfile test_zlib

(The make install required using sudo, not surprisingly.)

Really simple uses of the re module succeed (leaving out blunders):

Python 2.1 (#1, 04/22/01, 11:06:25)
[GCC Apple DevKit-based CPP 6.0alpha] on darwin1
>>> import re
>>> r = re.compile('fubsy')
>>> r
<SRE_Pattern object at 0x1d54b0>
>>> r.match('I am fubsy')
>>> x = r.match('I am fubsy')
>>> x
>>> x = r.match('fubsy are us')
>>> x
<SRE_Match object at 0x248e70>
>>> x.string
'fubsy are us'
>>> x.group(0)
'fubsy'
>>> x = r.search('nuts')
>>> x
>>> x = r.search('it is nice to be fubsy')
>>> x.group(0)
'fubsy'
>>> x.start(0)
17
>>> x.end(0)
22
>>> x.string[17:22]
'fubsy'

So I have a working Python 2.1 in Mac OS X (10.0.1), but I have to be
"gentle" with the re module for a while.

  --John